Saturday, January 24, 2015

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture





Culture is the customs and social norms of people or a community.

Diversity reflects the percentage and ethnic makeup of participants in a group, organization or community.  





My definition of culture is one's traditions, beliefs and values.  What a community practices and how they live.  For me its the value of education, responsibility, a good work ethic and Christianity.  

Diversity is acknowledging and embracing differences.  For me it's accepting and liking that a community is stronger and better with diversity. If everyone is the same you lose creativity and individuality.  



Culture is a way of living that is nourished by the environment that people live in.  Culture can involve unwritten or written policies.  For example there can be a west or east coast culture.  Culture isn't always particular to race as many people think.  Advertising and media has adopted a hip/hop and urban culture.

Diversity is a mixture of differences based on certain factors such as race, religion, gender, ect. Diversity isn't changed by the environment.  It helps enrich it.  




There are so many definitions of what is perceived to be culture and what is diversity.  I feel that the responses I received were all correct.  I appreciate the statement that said diversity is to embrace.  So many times I have seen the word "tolerate" when reading about diversity.  Tolerate means to accept something that you may not like.  It has negative connotations.  Embracing is learning about one another and sharing in the same process.  

No one stated that each family has their own individual culture and I feel that is very important when working with families as no two families are alike.  This past week my daughter asked me if all black people like watermelon.  I asked her if she likes watermelon.  She stated no.  I asked her if she was black and she said yes.  I asked her if I buy watermelon she said no.  Well Cailin, there is your answer.  She then proceeded to tell me she has watched a video on The Vine and it was portraying stereotypes based on race and what people eat.  This was an educational opportunity to share with her about stereotypes and how you can not believe what you see in the media.  I also shared that this type of media is not nice.  This class has really opened discussions that I am having with my daughter.  In  one of the definitions above for culture it stated the media has really opened a new culture.  Its so very much true as it has a direct influence on children and adults.  

I also really like the statement that diversity enriches the environment.  Imagine everyone being the same???  A environment in which differences are valued truly makes a difference,  Everyone is able to bring their unique and individual differences and share with one another.  Each one of my staff is very different.  They each bring a diverse amount of knowledge and skills to make our team.  It works because they are able to share their knowledge and problem solve to help families become more successful.  



       

3 comments:

  1. The words on your visuals and the comments show the complexity of culture and diversity. I also agree that media which is a culture in itself influences us consciously and subconsciously so we must be cautious and not afraid to ask questions or see things differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your statements are so true. This class has also made me really soul search my perspective on culture and diversity. It is good to find those teachable moments when children need to hear the truth and understand that everything that is portrayed in media is not creditable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a fine line for some people between understanding and ignorance. Some people think they understand where others are coming from--others base their understanding upon racial biases--still others don't have a clue. Then there are those who simply don't care. I have found that while I care about others and their cultures, my understanding of their experiences only scratch the surface. I have discovered that I have a great deal in common with some people, even though our life experiences and backgrounds are very different from one another. I have enjoyed learning and gaining new perspectives, as well as making new friends!

    ReplyDelete